Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Lincoln Presidential Half Marathon Recap

So, this past weekend I ran in the 48th Annual Lincoln Presidential Half Marathon in Springfield. This was my second consecutive year running this race. Last year, I was pretty proud of my time, 2:03 - but this year I wanted to complete my first half sub-2 hours.

Let me start by saying, I have NOT been training very well this year... at ALL!! I have only run a handful of times, and it was reasonable to say I was NUTS for signing up for this race. I arrived about 7:30 - thinking it started at 8am - and my friend, Jessica, commented that I was in no hurry and totally calm... so I was baffled that at 7:45 the guns fired and we were off. Whoops! No wonder she thought I was acting laid back... ha!

 Pre-Race with fellow Sole Sisters: Anna, Jessica and Me!


The first couple miles I started out faster than I was hoping, but I got warm quick. By mile 5 I was feeling pretty awesome, just coasting along, then they came... the HILLS. Yikes. I don't remember this course being so hilly last year. My pace began to slow and my inner negative talker came out in full force. I started getting mad. My split halfway through was :50 minutes. Damn. I was flying. So, when the hills began to slow me down, I wasn't happy.

My legs started to fatigue...and it seemed like there wasn't any flat road in site. My head kept talking and I began to get even more mad... I started thinking... "this isn't even any fun, why do I do this to myself"... "you can't run, you're tired"... No, shut up I told myself... just keep your feet moving. They moved... slowly... but they moved. . .

About 2 miles to go and a woman shouted at me "you're doing awesome, almost there, empty the tank"... to said to her, "thanks, but the tank is bone dry... " We both laughed. A half mile to the finish and spectators began to emerge... the finish was in site. Usually I crank it up, but seriously, my legs REFUSED to move any faster. Fine.

I finished with 1:54. Mad, knowing I could have done better, but happy that I did finish sub-2 hours. I have to be happy with this, for the lack of training I had going in to the race. I saw my wonderful husband and beautiful daughters waiting for me at the finish. It made the hard run all worth it, seeing them so proud of me. I received my giant penny medal at the finish.

Post Race with Abe!

All in all, it was a BEAUTIFUL day for a run. Looking back, there are several things I could have improved on, but I am happy with how I did. There's always going to be something you find that you can improve on... I am blessed to have been able to run the race and finish under my goal. I'll be back next year with something to prove... we're going for sub 1:45!!!! 

1 comment:

  1. You did awesome Steph! Those hills were a killer, but we conquered them!

    ReplyDelete